Today’s thought from INSIGHTOVATION® – July 19, 2016
Stay ahead of your business cadence.
Are you still analyzing the first half of 2016 to see where you are vs. the business goals? If so you are already behind for the year. That analysis should have been done starting in mid-June using actuals through May and forecast for June. The official books should be all but closed as a formality with no surprises and business reviews finalized. You are now 3 weeks into the new quarter and second half of 2016. Stop looking back.
Executing the plan is the business priority.
- There is a clearly defined strategy and action plan. Everyone is aligned and focused.
- It is still the right plan. Nothing has changed.
- You have the right resources to execute.
Publishing a business/marketing calendar is a helpful way of staying on track.
- This calendar outlines a framework of the regular cycles for the business.
- It describes the business process and timing vs. the content.
- It gives visibility to timing and manages expectations of reporting to business stakeholders.
Whether the calendar is on a shared, electronic platform or an excel spreadsheet matters not. The important characteristics are that it is clearly articulated, accessible, and has organizational alignment.
Consider a 3-year strategic plan with a rolling 18-month action plan. Create an 18-month calendar outlining the business/marketing cadence as a framework and allow stakeholders to align their action plans so that the entire team is going forward on the same timing to achieve the plan.
Let me know if you need step-by-step help creating a cross-organizational cadence.